Monday, November 3, 2014

9 Months Old






When I pictured myself as a mom, I always imagined having a nine month old.  Before I had a baby of my own, nine months just seemed like a great age.  And now that I have a nine month old, I can say that this age definitely does not disappoint.  Emilia is fiercely independent and very interactive.  I feel like the loneliness of being a new stay at home mom is completely cured because now Emilia talks back and wants to have dance parties and is truly my little friend.  Nine months has really been the most fun stage with Emilia.

Emi now weighs 16 pounds 11 ounces, which is still on the small side (around the 25th percentile) and is getting much longer, coming in at almost 28 inches, which is close to the 50th percentile!  She's growing really well, even though she's definitely on the smaller side (which every old person in my little town loves to point out at the grocery store!), it looks to me from her measurements she's shaping up to be a lot like her mama.

My girl has accomplished some pretty amazing things in the last month.  She can climb stairs on her own... and fast.  She stands up on her own without any help and can stand unassisted for really long periods of time.  Emilia walks very confidently around the furniture or with help and now takes one-two steps on her own going back and forth between Dan and I.  She bounces on her own on the big girl trampoline at gymnastics... it's actually pretty amazing.  The best part is she just did it on her own.  Each baby takes a turn on the trampoline and most kids just kind of sit there or crawl around so I was shocked (and... not going to lie... so proud) when Emilia let go of my hands and bounced all on her own with a huge smile on her face.  Yeah, girl, I thought it was pretty cool, too.  And of course, she dances.  She somehow picked up that Dan and I snap a lot, so she thinks she can snap.  I constantly catch her in the rearview mirror snapping along to the music in her carseat. 

Emilia also is a big talker and says quite a few words.  Her current vocabulary includes mama, daddy, doggy, otay, and hiiiiiiiiii.  She claps (mostly at her own accomplishments), waves bye, and, of course, shakes her head no... to every question I ask.  It probably comes as no surprise that I talk to her A LOT during the day.  Her doctor was super impressed at how many words she can say, but I quickly chimed in that I never shut up, so it was bound to happen.

My absolute favorite part of this age is her imagination.  Emi plays so incredibly well by herself.  She can normally be found in her "fort" in between the coffee table and sectional.  She takes all the pillows off the couch and takes her baby, Stella, in there and plays.  I literally found her in there the other night reading a baby version of the Bible to Stella.  This was after Stella was getting majorly in trouble and totally lectured earlier that same day.  I could not even make this stuff up if I tried.  She's going to be a great mom haha!

I am so grateful I started this blog, because even though I'm sure it seems to some like a major brag sesh about my amazing daughter ;), it has truly become our "baby book."  I've found myself describing being a mom as having your heart outside of your body.  That's what I want to remember, especially about this age.  Emilia is getting more independent and though I do stay home with her, she is starting to spend a little more time without me, whether it be at her "class" at my women's bible study group, or with a babysitter for a few hours.  I'm fiercely protective of her.  But I know the value in letting her grow into her own person.  She is my heart outside of my body.  It's such a vulnerable experience.  It's being a mom.  And I love it. 



No comments :

Post a Comment